You're Going Places

I created this card for the MFT Wednesday Sketch Challenge #440! I loved the sketch and thought it’d be a fun challenge!

I used the “Up in the Air” stamp set and coordinating dies from My Favorite Things.

I thought it would be fun to have the balloons and bird inset. I put the stamps where I wanted them (using the sketch as a guide). Then I put my dies in approximately the same location on another piece of cardstock.

I ran them through my die cut machine. This piece of cardstock will be my forefront of my card.

I had to lay my stamps on the other piece of card stock so they’d line up with the die cuts. This was a little tricky, so I tried it a few ways.

In the photo below, I put my stamp down (in my MISTI, so I’d be ready to stamp right away) in approximately where I thought it would go. Then, I checked to see if it was in the correct spot. I just nudged it one way or the other until it looked centered.

(I closed the lid to pick up the big balloon stamp so I wouldn’t accidentally move it.)

Another method I tried was to center it first (holding it behind the die cut) and then laying it down on the cardstock. That didn’t work at all! So I ended up nudging it until it lined up again.

(I shut the lid and picked up the smaller balloon.)

Since I already had the 2 balloons in place, it was easier to place the bird. I held it in FRONT of the die cut bird. Then, I lined up the cardstock with the 2 balloons. That was easier – but only because I already had the balloons set correctly.

FINALLY – ready for some ink! 🙂 I used Memento Black ink because I was going to use Copics to color in my images.

(You might notice that even though I just put all that effort into lining up my images and die cuts, it STILL didn’t end up perfect!! Oh well!!)

I lined up my sentiment so that I could find out where to make my cut on the “forefront” cardstock.

I made my cut so that it’d be about 1/8″ above my sentiment.

I stamped my sentiment with Versafine to get a more crisp and bold sentiment. (I wish I could use it all the time, but it doesn’t do so well with Copics!)

On my die cut piece of cardstock, I wanted to do clouds. I used this stencil from Simon Says Stamp. I wanted to have an ombre/fading effect, so I used a lot more ink at the top and then gradually lightened my blending towards the bottom. I used Tumbled Glass distress oxide.

See the below image for the colors of Copics I used on the balloons and bird.

I used 3D foam tape to adhere my forefront to my base.

I realized that I wanted to put another 3D cloud strip on the bottom of my card – so I had to get my distress oxide, blending brush, and stencil back out (*sigh* – have to clean it all again!) I added some quick, light clouds. I added 3D foam tape to this strip and adhered it to the base.

I used Nuvo drops and sequins to add a little more pizzazz!

Now to enter it into the MFT Challenge!!

%d bloggers like this: